Re: Civil Disobedience

From: Ian Stoba (ianat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 11:18:02 PDT

    I would even go one step further. I think that what John Thornton (the
    original poster) is advocating is not a form of civil disobedience at
    all, but an act of cowardly appeasement.

    As Felix points out below, a silent protest is unlikely to change
    anything. A more pure form of civil disobedience would be something like
    this:

    	o Send a single SYN-RST packet to www.whitehouse.gov

    	o Present yourself for arrest at the Hoover Building

    	o Demand that the government prove in court that you are the
    criminal equivalent of a hijacker/mass murderer/suicide bomber/[insert
    preferred terrorist euphemism here] and deserve to be put away for the
    rest of your life. Be sure to contrast your punishment with the average
    sentences for murderers, rapists, and bank robbers.

    Note that I am not volunteering to do this, which perhaps makes me a
    coward as well.

    For those of us who disagree with the legislation but don't relish a
    role as Rosa Parks or some kind of cyber-Gandhi, the usual exhortations
    to political action apply. Contact your elected officials, business
    leaders, and anyone else you can buttonhole to let them know that
    exposing computer security professionals to criminal liability actually
    reduces our security rather than improving it.

    --Ian