Killing Napster

From: Andrew Scoggins (scogginsat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 10:39:01 PST

    Hello all,

    I am currently looking into killing the MP3 Program Napster.

    A user told me that he had been using it inside the firewall to download
    files on an external Napster server. He assumed he was safe because he
    was behind the firewall, but soon discovered that other users were
    downloading from his machine. My guess is that Napster establishes a
    connection from client to server that is used for uploads AND downloads.
    So, the burning question is, has anyone blocked Napster by specifying
    the destination port (which I haven't figured out yet) going out? I am
    not running an application level firewall, so I can only do it by port.

    Thanks for any help. I also post other info as I find it.

    Andy

    --
      Andy Scoggins

      Information security is