Re: Rate's for contractors & employees

From: develmaster (develmasterat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 22 2001 - 21:14:10 PST

    > On Wednesday, November 21, 2001, at 07:21 PM, Rhino Bomd wrote:
    > > But a lot have had to take 20% or more cuts.  The standard range seems to
    > > be
    > > pretty consistent at $60-$95, sometimes up to $125/hr,
    >
    > To put it into context, my plumber charges $80/hour ;(

    Hi, please feel not annoyed by my simple question, but I was looking for my
    first job to get the money for university...

    I have several years of UNIX/Linux experience, I can code lots of programming
    languages (such as C/C++, Perl, ...), I can administrate Servers and I even
    think that I am very well informed about security issues & secure
    programming. My marks at school were the best of 116 students at my age.

    Now I asked a quite big company in the town where i wanted to study, and they
    offered me a little less than 10$/hr. Could anybody please tell me if this is
    my fault or if the german clocks go the other way round?!

    They told me that I need job experience, and it seemed to me as if the time
    spend by me developing open source software doesn't matter. Does it really
    make such a big difference? Or is anything else wrong with me?

    Thanky for any answer.

    cya, develmaster