CISSP for employment, or more?

From: David Hawley (chimanat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 12:33:17 PST

    I suspect that there will be a lot more replies on this topic, after the
    Thanksgiving weekend, but there were some excellent  replies already and I
    wanted to summarize them, and share some thoughts of my own.  All of the
    replies that I have received so far fall along similar lines.
    One of the main reasons for the CISSP, is the abysmal awareness of what we
    do amongst not only HR folks, but even our counterparts in the IT/MIS
    Industry.  When we get together *we* KNOW who knows what they are talking
    about, but how in the heck would HR Folks, or even most IT/MIS Managers?  On
    most of the contracts that I have held since forming UNIX & NT NETWORK
    SECURITY, LLC in 1995 I was generally the only one who had the big picture
    (not all mind you, at one of my latest contracts I was only one wheel in a
    big security machine, they had
    3 folks doing viruses alone!!!).  So to repeat, it's used by folks that
    don't understand what we do.

    Another reason, of course, is standardization.  Some of us may focus on one
    area or another, it takes a long time to have "done it all" as they say.
    Having a CISSP would give one the broad knowledge to head into a contract in
    a new area without having to reinvent the wheel.  For example if you had
    been doing firewalls for 2 years, and were hired to write security policy on
    a new gig you would already be aware of the terms we all use, and who the
    players are in that area, so that we can build on a common knowledge base.

    Another good point that was brought up was that for someone doing hands on
    work, such as installing C2, a VPN, or a one time password system it was
    less important.  For managers, policy writers, team leads it would be more
    in demand.

    Lastly we come full circle back to rates, and employability.  A number of
    people (especially those with a CISSP :) ) it was felt that in a situation
    where there were two candidates, who were equal in all other respects the
    one with the CISSP would probably be hired.  I was actually writing a long
    quasi white paper on "Why I DON'T have a CISSP", to be used with employers,
    when it dawned on me that I would be better serving our Industry as a whole
    to join forces with those who hold one, rather than to "fight city hall".
    If I can help out in any way please let me know.

    Cheers, David
    David Hawley --- Future CISSP :)

    P.S.  I have changed my preferences back to David Hawley, Rhino was my
    nickname from long ago, when my dating techniques resembled the charging
    Rhino, LOL.  Bomd, was a typo, supposed to be Bond, as in James Bond.  No
    more need for stealth, with this account.

                                               David Hawley
                            UNIX & NT Network Security, LLC.
                                    drhat_private
                                    www.123netsecurity.com